Sunday, April 15, 2012

Friendly Typefaces

'Vittles' !

A sub-brand off 'Sustenance' and you couldn't really make 'V' a tick!!!! ARRRGGGGHHH!

It was a challenge!

The target audience is a young one so the readability must be legible and simple and fun!
e.g.


So I went in search of friendly type faces and found :
I googled 'friendly typefaces/typography'. I even did a google image search. I managed to come across one site that led to this link : http://sudtipos.com/home
but I cannot recall the link and I believe I came across it during a google image search.

This link's site consisted of typefaces that appeared to be curvacious & playful with perhaps 70% of all the typefaces there having soft or rounded edges. One caught my eye and it was called 'cupcake', which somewhat depicted what I wanted to use for the 'Vittles'. The typeface has soft/rounded edges, is strongly readable and was somewhat playful. 



*Oh yes, I was suppose to mentions this at the beginnning but in my design, I wanted to incorporate san-serif based fonts for readability.

Since I liked the typeface, I went insearch of a site where I could download it but instead came across this site and its version of 'cupcake' which definately fit in with my concept idea. It's playful, fun and worked well as a font for children.

Though it fitted my idea, I couldn't find a link nor a download to it. Neither to the one from Sudtipos (sudtipos.com). The best I could really do was search replacement fonts that had a similar resemblence or fitted the criteria of having soft/rounded edges and was fun. I used fonts from Dafont and Google Font.

The two best out of 10 I had found as a replacement were:


Patrick Hand

laCartoonerie

(http://ilovetypography.com/2008/02/03/sunday-type-frodo-type/) (just happen to come across this link and placed it here as some form of reference)

No comments:

Post a Comment