Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Vittle's lunch box in production mode pt3

Now its onto the graphics. I illustrated the graphics in Illustrator but since I have very little skills in illustrating in Illustrator, I refered to a tutorial to help. The tute was very good in instructions and the site which it came from was packed with very interesting and 'cool' tutes, which cover a wide range of things realted to graphic design.

Link: http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/creating-vector-characters-illustrator

Though, what really was a bit troubling was colour. I felt that I didn't want to use green in the beginning as the kookaburra didn't stand out so much. I soon found out that green really worked after I got some positive feed back from my tutor and some great friends. Even during the presenatation, there was good comments on the green used. But before that, I was trying blue, in a darker or less vibrant shade. To use blue, to me, felt kinda biased as it was a colour for boys. I tried purple, which reminded me of salt and vinigar, it sorta worked when I added more blue to the purple shade but did not fit the ideal of healthy. Nor red either. I wanted to avoid yellow and oranges as those colours were similar tones to the colours on the kookaburra (earth tones).





As you can see in these examples above, I had a little bit of a mind change and I made the curved corner, sit on the bottom. This emphisized the kookaburra's belly. : p Though, I found doing that, made positioning of other elements, such as a informative tick to show that the lunch box was healthy, quite tricky. Also, the feed back from my tutor, he said that I should keep the rounded corner in the top. By doing so, it also allowed me to position the elements a bit easier.



The green worked! Also, for the info on the back, I applied a gradient whereas the front uses a block colour.

I also had a bit of trouble when applying teh 'Sustenance' logo as I thought we had to have the logo in colour. But since I usesd green, the 'Sustenance' logo wouldn't stand out since it was green. I decided to dive in in the end and used a white version of the logo.

When it came to presenting, I was somewhat happy with my prototype lunchbox for 'Vittle's' but having a look at some others, they were very interesting. The ones that caught my eye were ones which the overall lunchboxes that could be reused and as a collectable item at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment